Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Plein Air is one thing...but intent to Video for DVD...*whew!

Went to my ole haunt, which I can always count on for inspiration just about a half-hour from home, Strong Falls on the Peshtigo River...at Goodman County Park, here in Marinette County...Wisconsin's waterfalls capital of the state.

My intent was to take advantage of some fair weather (no rain finally...!) and set up a Canon XL2 mini dvd camera to film and produce a plein air instructional video.

It is one thing to paint a plein air in the unknown window of opportunity with aim to paint well...it is another to aim to produce a good video and presume a good painting is a given.  If not...then all the hauling and setting up of gear is for naught, and it is all done again on another day I suppose. Two different arts, happening at one time..

Here was the camera and my set up...showing the painting already quite near finished...





















The camera has an attached microphone, and I had it on for a surround recording kind of option, but my back would be to it for much of the time.  So, I hooked up a shure microphone with a mic stand on the far side of the half-box easel...coming up over the top, and with intent to pic up my voice fine but not be obstructive.  Ssheesh...this means you have to like really think this stuff out!!!! hahaaa..

Here is the mic position...to give you an idea-












Here is a partial view of my subject...and I'm glad this one day in Wisconsin, the weather was willing to cooperate. Typically our saying here is, "What???  Don't like the weather??? Wait around for fifteen minutes!"  Our weather is influenced by Canadian fronts, Lake Superior just north...and Lake Michigan to the east...















Here then is my effort...and an effort it was. A two hour painting basically stretched out over a five hour period of time having to perform the videography end of it by myself...










Now...comes that process of engaging another art form, that of videography and film editing. For that I use Final Cut Express as my software, and will add images of still pictures with photoshop and so forth to hopefully create a worthy instructional video...

...if that all happens, it should be available for purchase before I head back to the classroom this fall... (fingers crossed)

1 comment:

SEILER said...

One of your best paintings! One of my favorite.