Saturday, January 30, 2010

Visualizing A FULL Dimensionally Balanced Composition

On a recent flight...about 30,000 feet over Lake Erie, I decided to pull out my sketchbook, my Wolff carbon pencils...and used a bit of left over coffee and a brush to create a visual that I think should help some artists better comprehend how important using color, and values, edges and so forth are for a better painting result.  So many artists I think, novices and intermediates... tend to look at their subject the way they look at their canvas.  Side to side...and up and down.

We may be painting a two-dimensional work, but we are seeking to suggest a three-dimensional reality.  We have to think in terms of a cube of space...or rectangle for the panorama...as here demonstrated (you can click on image to see larger)-



An old archived thread of mine on Wetcanvas.com put together from a drive to the western side of our state of Wisconsin from photos and such, explains what I call the Progression of the Regression in Color and Values...and should help readers/friends here visualize this principle further.  I think well worth your time...
Progression of Regression...

A painting that is especially simple in its composition and number of visual elements such as my more recent one below of the boat trolling for salmon benefits from a fuller comprehension of how values and color contribute to this broader more complete sense of visual weight distribution not just up and down, side to side...but here to back there.

2 comments:

Carole Baker said...

This was very helpful and the Progression of Regression thread well worth my time. Thank you.

SEILER said...

This is so awesome!