Thursday, October 16, 2008

Jason in Ireland...continued
















Well...worked a bit more on the face, not happy yet
being still some adjustments needed to get the eyes
just right, eyebrows and such...


Interestingly, the copal medium I use is tacking up
a bit quick this batch. I'm needing to add more to
keep the paint workable thru the painting sessions.
However...it was cause for me to ponder that perhaps
Rembrandt must have used a resin medium that tacked
up quick, for the brushwork I'm finding is having
that drag appearance in building up I observed in
his works. Not saying I'm a Rembrandt by any means,
ssheesh...one could only wish!

Here is a closeup,and if you click on the image you'll
see more of what I'm saying...















I'm just concerned that by the time I get the adjustments
I want, I'll have quite a build up, but then that too
might suggest somethings about Rembrandt's paint surface
when seen up close. Only, he sealed each paint session
layer that dried with a medium something like copal and
no doubt painted into it.

I just don't want an overworked result that loses the
spontaneity I aim for in my work. We'll see how it goes!

2 comments:

Sylvia Jenstad said...

Wow... really cool painting... this is going to be great when it's finished... I also love 'McClure Basin'

...Larry said...

Thanks Sylvia...very encouraging reading your comment..