Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Minus 33 degrees...but the Sun was too Inviting to ignore!!!

At the very least...I had to go out and collect some photo references yesterday.  It seems more and more when the sun finally comes out here in northern Wisconsin winter, it is most brutally cold.  Today, it is a minus 50 degrees (with windchill).  So, put on my wool bibs, my coat, my mucks...my pull over black hood mask...and went on a venture to collect pics in my area.  The result was...I took some very fine pics, and after rompin' around sat down yesterday to do this 6"x 6" gouache...

I'm sharing a smaller image, what the piece from two paces (six feet) back would appear like (make sure you click on images)...and a larger closer view.  I find I must paint with eyes squinted often to translate how my attack of brushwork will work.  Fun stuff to do...





3 comments:

Nancy L. Vance said...

Nice little painting! I really enjoy small pieces and I agree about having to squint while painting, and stand back to view it normally. You can really sense the sunlight coming through the trees this way. I'm in Ohio and we are in the middle of the same series of winter blasts, but not quite as cold as where you are!

Yorky said...

I don't know how you do it, but you are right, at viewing distance it looks great!

Larry Seiler said...

don't know if its such a good thing, Doug...but I paint with my eyes squinted much of the time...which saves me from having to back up (gives about the same impression)...
thanks...appreciated.

thanks too, Nancy...we got thru this one...let's hope no more Polar Vortex...the propane issue is a tough one for many!