Friday, June 15, 2012

Cedarburg Plein Air Event


 
Here's my effort from yesterday...setting up at a creek with a classic old world wooden tower bridge...but, as I'm contemplating where and exactly what to paint...I reflect on the fact this event has been going on about 12 years or so now.  Of about 130-150 painters each year, just how many paintings of that bridge have been done?  Of buildings...etc.,

So...as I'm standing there, I see suddenly about seven painters obviously having had their panels stamped show up, and all begin to set up facing the bridge.  Okay...that sold me..."no bridge!"

So, my eye was drawn to the filtered sunlight, dappled shadows...and painted this 10"x 20" oil...
Then...later in the day, driving around for another...what to paint? what to paint? I see a classic auto show...EYE CANDY!!!

I pull my truck over, get out to investigate, and see fellow painter James Hempel about 70% done with one.  Good on ya, James...nice piece too!

So, I ask one of the car owners how long the event goes, and he says til 9pm...and I figure, dang...I still have a couple hours, so I set up.  What I discovered is...the EVENT might go til 9pm...but that is no guarantee the drivers/owners will stay...

So...I was in the blocking an adjusting mode painting a Studebaker and another classic next to it...needing to raise the hood, make adjustments and then attack this thing.  Suddenly...v-v-vrrRROOOooomm....an engine roars, and away goes one of my vehicles...

I walked over to James and said, "remember how Robert Henri at the New York Student Art League school would have his model sit on the lower floor, and have his student's easels up on the fourth?"

He chuckle..."so...you cars left then?"   hahaha...













Crazy...

So...a boy standing there for a half-hour watching me paint smiled when I asked him, "want to see something cool?"  and nodded.

Then watched me scrape the painting down, pull out some mineral spirits and wipe it off...

Ya win some...you lose some!!!  :)

I have an idea for a really cool painting tonight, a nocturne that will actually involve another artist.  Hopefully I can pull it off, because I think its going to be great?  Or how about Randy's vernacular on American Idol..."that was DOPE!"  (never quite understand that..."dope???")

The day before, Wednesday...kicked off at Port Washington, and after checking in and getting panels stamped saw two familiar faces just finishing paint up a boat scene, then another artist come set up and paint another boat scene...and I'm like, wait...I grew up sportfishing with my dad, a sportsfishing nut and guide on the waters of Lake Michigan for lake trout, king salmon, coho...etc.,  I would love to paint boats, but what is this event then culminate as...one boat scene attempt trying to best another boat scene?  Naw...decided I don't want to be part of that really...so, I'm walking around thinking, give me something that says "Port Washington" all over it...and then I saw it.  A bronze statue of "The Fisherman" set up in a park, the icon church recognized in Port Washington behind it, and decided my background would be suggestive as I sense shapes squinting my eyes...this one then, 14"x 11" oil... (as always, clicking on images brings up larger view)

No comments: