Thursday, January 05, 2012

Two works recently given hand made red oak L-Frames...




















The painting above work, "Fishing Partners" was a product of impressions and work I did teaching a plein air workshop in the Juneau area of Alaska.  My son, Jason...and I took a car ferry from Juneau to Sitka and back, just for the experience.  Was amazing...and at one point I painted off the back of the ferry.  

These are the Chilkat Mountains in the Gastineau Channel, the oft seen seining fishing boats, and eagles.  Loved the eagles...one spot nearly 1500 of them gathering.  After adding frame, felt the need to push some warms and darks into the painting...(thanks to copal...) and is officially done.  Yeah!!!!  *clapping...

Now available at Big Easel Gallery, Wabeno...WI

The painting is oil on stretched canvas, then framed with a red oak handmade L-frame I made...



















This 12"x 9" is an oil on a black gesso primed stretched canvas.  My curiosity got the best of me, having experimented with gouache on Strathmore #400 series black presentation board, to see what would come painting oils on such a primer.  This work is the result...a plein air in NE Wisconsin...a spot I often bring my area plein air workshop students to...Longslide Falls...and, finished another red oak L-frame for it.  Which I think brings out the warms in the painting nicely...

(clicking on images brings up larger view)

The latter piece, Longslide Falls in red oak floating frame, 12" x 9" oil plein air is available for sale.. (building a crate to ship, and insure extra...contact me)




$825

1 comment:

Ida M. Glazier said...

Larry, Today I found your brushstroke demo of '08, where you painted a naples yellow old paint tube - - -So glad to have found this!! I am doing my first indoor oil painting, 16 x 20--and as you would know, I am very intimadated by the effort. I have done a few on-site, outdoors small oils--much fun--and many plein-air pastels - - - but this , I am trying now, well, wow. And alone, I am trying to learn--so its worth it, but watching your really good demo has helped in many ways. Thanks!! Love the gouache paintings you have done as well.