Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Aiming for more minimal essentials, still... WIP

As some know, I'm working on my next book...a softcover of intent, tentatively called- "Painterly Realism- Less is More" and one thing I like about assigning myself such a task is the journey such necessarily brings one on.

Coming from my wildlife art years of the 80's-90's...with 150-300 hour paintings and detail upon detail...all my work the past 15 years would be enough to work on such a book, but...I am yet aiming for that aesthetic precipice... where near abstract meets enough satisfying illusion of realism that the viewer walks away compelled to the image.  I think of Scott Burdick or Richard Schmid, where form is consumed by void and mastery compells the eye to the finely finished focal points...such as this flower still life of Schmids-
 













Remarkable modern mastery...where what is finished settles the need to paint more or finish throughout...

If you are unfamiliar with the work of Richard Schmid, or Scott Burdick...do take the time to do a thorough search, and check out links of my blog here as well... 


I do not claim to hold any candle to these remarkable artists, but are a continuing inspiration to me...


My own inclination even painterly, is to do greater finishing and I'm not necessarily saying that is a downfall for me.  Just may be my way...but, I want to push myself more and more to that which is essential.


Its a marvelous thing to enter the forests, rivers...the great outdoors with an eye keen on precisely that which is grabbing you by the jugular, and a skill honed that need not overstate.


Having said such...I started a 9"x 12" of a familiar subject to me, Fumee Falls of Quinnessec, Michigan...and with the rule of third lines in mind, and an aim to bring elements to a finer refinement where essential...and allow a trailing off to abstraction elsewhere.  So...we'll see where this one ends up and I am satisfied...



2 comments:

Kurt said...

Wow this pretty much sums up my painting evolution also. Maybe when we start we feel the need to prove our abilities by painting all the detail in ( I did wildlife art when I started also ). And as we grow as artist we learn what to leave out skillfully to peak the view imaginations to fill in, and with our confidence as we grow we are less afraid to leave out all the detail that really does not need to be put in.

Larry Seiler said...

I definitely think age maturation helps..