Monday, May 26, 2008

Piers Gorge and Long Slide Falls plein air oil paintings

Spent an enjoyable day today climbing rocks, taking in
great views...and painting on location in NE Wisconsin
and Upper Michigan...

First is Piers Gorge...the Menomonee River which upper
Michigan and Wisconsin share on their borders...

12"x 12" oil
























Then packed up my gear, hiked out and drove south
toward Pembine, Wisconsin to Morgan Park...where
I found Long Slide Falls...

A bit of hike down to this lovely falls...

















setup...and painted this 9"x 12" oil study of one part
of the falls..

4 comments:

Candy Barr said...

Nice action Larry. Aren't falls thrilling to paint?!

Larry Seiler said...

indeed they are, thanks Candy

Unknown said...

Fantastic energy in these pieces Larry. I've always wondered about a good landscape composition for square format - this is great!

Larry Seiler said...

thanks Celeste..

didn't always think square would be good, seems to go against the very nature of how we see...more elongated and panoramic.

I cast the challenge upon myself once in awhile...and it often surprises myself as well when it works very well...